“The name “Mark Levinson” soon entered the common lexicon, synonymous with “ultra quality,” to such an extent that someone completely unfamiliar with audio might say something like “That’s a Mark Levinson motorcycle,” or “I love your Mark Levinson jacket,” meaning the referenced objects were not only of the highest possible quality, but were also exceedingly beautiful.” ~ from his bio available on the Daniel Hertz SA website
I’d say that’s a Mark Levinson bio!
What can you say about Mark Levinson that he hasn’t already said about himself? Pioneer, guru and living legend of hi-fi, recording engineer (“Among the cognoscenti, Levinson recordings are as revered as Levinson electronics.”), musician (he’s a “jazz musician” who played with Paul Bley and “sat in ” with John Coltrane among others according his bio), and sex artist (he co-authored Satisfaction, the Art of the Female Orgasm with his ex-wife Kim Cattrall which kinda puts a fine point on the importance of the female orgasm as it relates to the importance of marriage). There’s nothing that Mark Levinson has done that isn’t deserving of the highest self-praise.
A brief Mark Levinson time-line:
- 1972 – founded Mark Levinson Audio Systems which he sold in the early ’80s along with his name to Madrigal Audio Laboratories who has since become part of Harman International who continue to use the Mark Levinson name.
- 1984 – formed Cello Ltd. selling ultra-high-end/ultra-high-priced hi-fi. He left Cello by 1998.
- 1998 – opened Red Rose Music on Madison Avenue, NYC (next to the Whitney Museum) “to bring no-compromise performance to a wider audience” in part by re-branding Chinese-made hi-fi products (“We found ways of making great sound for less money”). He’s still listed as part of the Management Team on the the Red Rose website.
- 2007 – teamed up with LG, “LG Electronics and Mr. Mark Levinson announced their collaboration to develop products that deliver enhanced sound quality and a differentiated, stylish design. Over the past year, LG Electronics worked with the audio legend to develop and personally tune selected premium home theater systems.” ~ from the LG press release
- 2010 – founded Daniel Hertz SA catering to the ultra-high-end/price hi-fi market once again.
Daniel Hertz M1 Speaker
“The Daniel Hertz M1 speaker ushers in a new era in music reproduction. For the first time, listeners can enjoy the audiophile dream of the most natural sound, highest level of detail, and spacious sound, with the awesome impact, deep bass, lightning fast speed, and ultra-wide dynamic range that can only be achieved by new speaker technology using very high efficiency drivers.” ~ from the Daniel Hertz website (someone should introduce Mr. Levinson to Western Electric)
“Instead of designing to a price point, Mark Levinson Audio Systems designed to exceed all previous known playback limitations.” ~ from his bio on the Petrof website
“When Mark Levinson left Madrigal (and his name) back in the mid 1980’s, his goal was to create audio equipment that surpassed anything that had been done before (including the equipment that still bares his name), thus Cello Ltd. was born.” ~ from his bio on the Daniel Hertz SA website
I imagine its downright damned difficult to be condemned to a life where your highest goal is to surpass yourself.
Gold Face Cream, 350 €
Mark Levinson is also the only audio designer I’m aware of who also sells high-end face cream.
And finally, “For those with a passion for simplicity, and a love of music, there’s the Mark Levinson watch”, “water resistant to 50 meters, 100dB with a FR of 20Hz – 60kHz” (OK I added that last bit). Limited to 100 specimens per sex.
“Yet despite his greatness, Levinson remains humble…” ~ from his bio